Tuesday, September 21, 2010

THE Ballot ... 2010 Short Order Awards

As some of you may be aware, the Miami New Times food blog, Short Order is currently conducting a poll in order to determine the winners of their first ever Short Order awards.  Voting is open to everyone and winners will be revealed at the Iron Fork event on October 21.

My nomination ballot looked like this:

Best Chef - Tough call as there are many deserving chefs in the area.  I went with Chef Kevin Cory @ NAOE because what he is doing over in Sunny Isles is unique, special and extraordinary.

Best Up & Coming Chef- Hales, Bullfrog, Gorenstein, Balloo, & Stojanovic are all on the rise and nomination worthy but my nomination went to Chef Gabriel Fenton @ Bourbon Steak.  From the addictive duck fat fries to the areas best burgers and steaks, Chef Fenton consistently shines.  His soups, sides, appetizers and entrees never disappoint.  Write in Chef Fenton!!! 

Best Pastry Chef- They should have called this category ABH, anyone but Hedy.(compliment) The Stevie Nick's award goes to....

Best Restaurant- Another difficult call.  My 2010 favorites included Bourbon Steak, Michael's Genuine, Sugarcane Raw Bar & Sakaya Kitchen.  My nomination went to NAOE.

Best Plate- I thought about nominating the burgers at Shake Shack and Bourbon Steak but didn't think they qualified as "plates".  Thus, I went with the Bento Box @ NAOE and the Pork Buns @ Sakaya Kitchen.  Sooo good!!!

Other categories I'd like to see included in the 2011 awards are best food truck, new restaurant, wine/beer list, hostess, valet (kidding, I want my sunglasses back bitch!!), waiter, sommelier and gm. Fernan I got you!!!!!!!!!!

You can vote for YOUR favorites here
newtimesshortorder.com

2 comments:

SteveBM said...

Fernan is the man!

I went with:

Best Chef: Schwartz with nod to Cory
Best Up and Coming: Bullfrog for creating something different and sparking a new scene
Best Pastry: Hedy Goldsmith for obvious reasons
Best Restaurant: MGFD for having the best overall restaurant
Best Dish: Bento Box @ NAOE

Anonymous said...

Don't know about Chef Fenton for best up & coming Chef. Was recently at Bourbon and the corn soup was more like corn water. Totally diluted and very weak taste.